Friday 20 April 2012

Jack Leslie. Aspirations for the future


Since a young age, I have sat in front of my TV set and watched the Formula 1. It was not until 2004 that I really got hooked, but later still until my aspirations were for a career in the sport.
In July 2011 I decided to start an F1 blog, at the time named TalkFromJackLeslieF1. I had always been told I was better at coursework at school, researching and writing. The idea of starting a blog or website had been in my head for a while but I finally plucked up the courage to start one. I asked Peter Windsor, legend in the F1 Journalism world, whether it was a good starting point or not and he said yes.

As I wrote more articles I started to see the improvements and I learnt a huge amount in the early days. Designing the website was also quite enjoyable and showed my creative side, the format of BlogSpot was great because I had no clue how to make a website from scratch. The views were building and in the first full month of being online I had around 3,000 views.

Slowly the website started to gain in popularity and my writing had improved heavily. That is when I realised that I really wanted to be an F1 Writer or Journalist. People on Twitter always said that I would replace Jake Humphrey or someone like that but being in front of the camera does not interest me, nor do I think I would be very good. In person and in front of the camera I am generally abit shy at first, so writing is great for expressing my views. It is all about the writing. It was so overwhelming to see support and great comments on social media and that really boosted my confidence.
After my website became “JackLeslieF1” in January 2012 it really picked up. I got scouted, of sorts, by Sky Sports and got the opportunity of meeting all of their new channel crew. It was a great experience, I was very nervous and abit too quiet at first, as I was alongside accomplished writers and journalists. Being so young, the youngest in the room, it was abit intimidating but also so great to see them at work and think that I could be in their position.

After that meeting with the Sky F1 people they have really helped by RTing, tweeting links on twitter and emailing me advice. Those things have helped my work be shown to such a diverse range of people so it is great and I really appreciate their help.
So far my website has been viewed over 55,000 times which is pretty unbelievable for around 9 months. I have also posted some amazing guest posts and had great feedback with Polls and comments. It really is amazing. Just recently I gained my first official “partner” with Official Merchandise, an F1 merchandise retailer. I have also gained permission from Sky Sports to interview all of their TV team and have lots more to come.

I started writing for other projects like Track Reviewers, Final Sector and more recently RichlandF1 and The Write Formula and that really helped me improve and gain experience. If you now look on my portfolio page it goes on a good while which I am so proud about because I am only 17. I have also interviewed some great people and, even if it is only be email, those people are just so great, giving up their time to talk to little old (young) me.

I really aspire to write for websites or magazines, like Sky Sports F1 or F1 Racing. Whether it is an accurate or realistic goal I do not know but I think I have the writing talent. At the current time I’m studying for my AS exams and university is still a question mark. On the one hand it would be great to help me improve my writing but it is expensive and a number of people have told me that you can get to the top without going.

F1 Writing really interests me, it is something I enjoy doing and also reading others. I love all the different styles and how you are the one giving people breaking news, reviews and things like that. It is by no means easy and you will always be scrutinized but I always try and look at the positives.
So maybe you will be seeing my work in F1 magazines and F1 websites in the coming future, at the moment though I will focus on my A Level exams and also keeping my website up to date, improving and pushing to get my work seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment